Rsync hangs with protocol incompatibility issues

Anand Raman araman at sapient.com
Tue Aug 26 18:04:21 EST 2003

Hi jw

Thanks for responding..

1) At work we end up using outlook. That could possibly explain a bit
about formatting

2) The error message varies from invocation to invocation. Sometimes it
exists with a error message and sometimes it seems to be stuck doing
something. (You can think I am mad but that's the way I am seeing the
problem). To further isolate the problem I am trying to sync the jboss
code repository and this is what I see on 2 consecutive runs

$ /usr/local/bin/rsync -aP --stats -e 'rsh -l araman'
--rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync jboss-3.2.2RC2-src
bpearth:/export/spare/home/araman

unexpected tag -7
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(315)

On the second run the error message which gets printed is
unexpected tag 105
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(315)

3) This happens after approximately 2110 of 5500 files have been
transferred to the remote machine. This number ofcourse varies from run
to run. But I consistently get to t see a error message.

4) The exact text of the error message varies.

Let me know if I could be of any more help

Hope this helps

anand