Rsync hangs with protocol incompatibility issues

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Aug 26 17:37:02 EST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:53:27PM +0530, Anand Raman wrote:

If you are using Solaris, why was your email formatted so
poorly?

> hi guys
>
> Environment 2 servers (SunOS 5.8) rsync 2.5.6
>
> Problem For a disaster recovery solution, we are running
> trying to synchornize interwoven backup stores between
> these 2 environments (server A and server B)
>
> The rsync operation is initiated over the network using
> 'rsh'. Once initiated from server A the rsync operation
> freezes with no indication. When the debug flag is enabled
> we get to see the following error message
>
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at
> sender.c(135)
>
> Both servers have the same rsync version (2.5.6 protocol
> version 26). It is also  interesting to note is that we
> are able to synchronize files from server B onto server A.
>
> Can anyone suggest pointers on how we could debug this
> problem.
>
> I could provide you with more pointers if you let me know
> where to find them.

Immediately above that you should have the real error
message, "Invalid file index %d (count=%d)".
It might help to know what those numbers are as well as any
preceding error messages.

 From the almost nothing you have provided this looks like a
communications problem.

PS.  Why do people send only the last error message instead
of the the first when it is the first that starts the
cascade effect?

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt