authentication error

cbarratt at users.sourceforge.net cbarratt at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Aug 23 16:42:05 EST 2003

"CHEUNG Chi Wai, Chris" writes:

> I have setup a Rysnc server in Mandrake 9.1
> When I add a auth user into my Rsync.conf and rsync.secrets,
> it do not work, everytime it shows
> [root at html]# rsync chris at mandrake82::XXXXX/.html/. /
> Password:
> @ERROR: auth failed on module XXXXX
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (89 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
>
> This is my rsync's config file
> [XXXXX]
> path =/Nukephp
> comment = XXXXX.com
> use chroot
> auth users = chris,
> secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>
> This is my secret.files
> chris:chris

Several things to check:

  - Is /etc/rsyncd.secrets the correct path?

  - Permission on /etc/rsyncd.secrets.  If it is o+r then it will
    be ignored.

  - Are you missing a newline at the end of your /etc/rsyncd.secrets file?
    I believe rsync ignores the last line if it ends in EOF instead
    of a newline.

  - Probably benign, but I'd comment out the "auth users" entry too
    until you get it to work (don't know if the hanging comma will
    cause a problem).

Craig