including file from excluded directory

Brandon Metcalf bmetcalf at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Aug 20 06:34:37 EST 2003

I'm trying to explicitly include a file that exists under a directory
that I otherwise want excluded.  Here are my command and include list:

  rsync -e ssh -Cavz --delete --update \
    --include-from=$HOME/.rsync.laptop . $DEST:

where $DEST contains the remote machine name and this is being run
from the top of my home directory.  My include list is:

  + /.addressbook
  + /.ICAClient
  + /.calendar
  + /.mailcap
  + /.mime.types
  + /.mozilla/bmetcalf/bookmarks.html
  + /.fetchmailrc
  + /.pinerc
  + /.signature
  + /.vimrc
  + /.rsync.laptop
  - /dead.letter
  - /OpenOffice.org*
  - /news
  - /rpm
  - /tmp
  - /.*

.mozilla/bmetcalf/bookmarks.html refuses to transfer and if up I crank
up verbosity, I see the the entire directory .mozilla is excluded
because of the pattern /.* .  What's interesting is that all of the
other files like .calendar transfer fine.  I've tried something like:

  + /.addressbook
  + /.ICAClient
  + /.calendar
  + /.mailcap
  + /.mime.types
  + /.mozilla
  + /.mozilla/bmetcalf/bookmarks.html
  + /.fetchmailrc
  + /.pinerc
  + /.signature
  + /.vimrc
  + /.rsync.laptop
  - /dead.letter
  - /OpenOffice.org*
  - /news
  - /rpm
  - /tmp
  - /.*

But that includes everything under .mozilla.

What am I missing about rsync's algorithm?

Thanks.