Inadequate error checking in rsync 2.5.5

cbarratt at users.sourceforge.net cbarratt at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 15 16:46:51 EST 2003

jw schultz writes:

> I've had a chance to think on it.  Attached is a patch that
> allows unmap_file() to report the first read error that
> map_ptr found.  The behaviour is the same.  I doubt this will
> apply against anything but CVS HEAD as of now.
>
> This should probably use FERROR instead of FINFO so that a
> partial transfer is reported.
>
> Any thoughts guys?

I haven't had a chance to try the patch, but it looks good.
I strongly support a patch like this that allows errors to be
reported to the client.

I just wanted to mention that this is a very important issue for rsync
on WinXX platforms. Locking is enforced.  So open() will succeed, but
read() can fail on parts or all of the file.  Examples include Microsoft
Outlook (.pst) files, and likely any data files behind databases (SQL,
MS exchange etc). All these files will rsync without errors, but the
resulting file will have some or all portions of the file set to 0x0.

Craig