Rsync Folder level Synchronizing Problem

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Aug 13 08:00:36 EST 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:13:11PM -0700, Angrish, Vishal wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using rsync for synchronizing two development work areas(geographically
> seperated).
>
> My Task: To copy abc/USER/xyz/123/456/..... to indiavidual developers remote
> machines atrting from xyz folder.
>
> here USER will vary, so for that i have created module till directory
> structure abc
> and the command runs like
> rsync -avz --times vangrish at ruskin::MODULE/%USERNAME%
> <mailto:vangrish at ruskin::MODULE/%USERNAME%>  .
> the above mentioned command works fine, but it copies the username folder
> also, where as my requirement is from xyz folder, as then another process
> runs on the resulted folder.
> i tried:
> rsync -avz --times vangrish at ruskin::MODULE/%USERNAME%/xyz
> <mailto:vangrish at ruskin::MODULE/%USERNAME%/xyz>  . but it is giving errors.
> i tried --rsync-path option also, but no desired output, any suggestions.
>
> please dont tell me to create different modules for each
> developer............

Your mailer seems to have garbled things i assume you
example was meant to be
	rsync -avz --times vangrish at ruskin::MODULE/%USERNAME% .
which transfer's from a remote machine to a local; not what
you describe needing.

Read the rsync manpage section entitled "USAGE" paying close
attention to the parts describing the use of a trailing
slash.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt