Maximum file size with rsync?

Jeff Frost J.Frost at fantastic.com
Wed Aug 13 04:27:28 EST 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Steve Bonds wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Jeff Frost J.Frost-at-fantastic.com |Rsync List| wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to find mention of rsync's maximum transferrable file
> > size, but haven't been able to.  I'm specifically curious if it would
> > be capable to send a file in the neighborhood of 200gb with rsync
> > assuming the filesystems on both end could handle it?
>
> Before embarking on this, check the archvies for a discussion of how the
> rsync algorithm breaks down on files with over a few hundred megabytes of
> changes, and how you can help correct for this by adjusting the block
> size.
>
> I don't think rsync would work well for files that large if they contained
> lots of changes.

I was thinking to use the whole-file option instead of letting it attempt to
chew through the files for diffs, as I had problems with rsync dealing with
files in the 12-15gb range in the past, though it worked great when using
--whole-file.  Would there be a more efficient program to use for just moving
the bits over there?