rsync OS X to Linux => problem diacritical marks

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Aug 6 16:15:48 EST 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 07:55:55AM +0200, Samuel Hug wrote:
> hi all
>
> i would like to sync a directory tree on a os x server to my linux
> "backup" server.
> in generall it works, but i've asserted that folders and files containg
> a letter with a diacritical mark (for example: ä,ü,ö) cause problems.
> they are beeing transefered but show up with a messed filname on my linx
> server.
>
> has someone an idea how to solve this problem?

This isn't an rsync problem.

This is an issue of how OSX is handling internationalisation
vs. how your linux system and utilities are configured.
I don't know how OSX handles it.  For Linux take a peek in
the locale manpage.

A possible, but perhaps less friendly, alternative would be
to clean up the OSX side so file names only use a subset of
the possible character set. "ä,ü,ö" becomes "a,u,o".  I've
done similar things in the past replacing spaces and other
shell-special chars with underscores with the only reaction
from the user base being that things stopped breaking.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt