issue with rsync 2.5.6

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Wed Aug 6 08:14:21 EST 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Bhaskar, Vijay <vbhaskar at Carlson.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I bumped in to issue with rsync 2.5.6 while doing  "sync" of large
>files. Here is the error message....
>
>"write failed on cm3.0_hpux11.11_final.tar : Error 0
>
>rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(243)
>
>rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (13342 bytes read so far)
>
>rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)"
>
>There is lot of free space.

This message occurs when a call to write does not return with the
same number of bytes requested to be written.  Rsync assumes that it
must be out of space.  Since no error has actually occurred, you get
the bogus "Success" or "Error 0" error message.

(This has been fixed in CVS to make rsync properly continue to make
write requests until it receives a return value indicating that no
bytes were written or an error occurred, and then the error message
will be an appropriate one.)

However, you *are* out of free space.   Rsync writes a temporary full
copy of a file being transferred before renaming it to the true name.
So you have to have at least as much free space as the largest file
being transferred.

If the copy fails due to disk full, the temporary will be deleted, and
it may *look* like you have lots of free space after rsync finishes,
wheras you actually ran out of free space while rsync was running.
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of MN Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>