long time taken in building file-list

Leaw, Chern Jian chern.jian.leaw at intel.com
Tue Aug 5 22:22:36 EST 2003

HI,
I have a 68GB of filesystem to be synchronized from 1 filesystem to another. However, it is really taking more than 4 hours to just build the file-list, and it's still in the process of building the file-list as show below, together with my script. I broke-down the rsync process by transferring the sub-filesystems within each main filesystem, to speed up the transfer rate.

I'm using rsync version 2.5.6.

This scenario did not previously occur, except today, when it seemed to have taken forever to to just build the list. This problem is not yet resolved.

Could you tell me where did I go wrong? Is there a way right now which I could speed up the building of the file-list?

Thanks in advance.

ls -l /cad/workspace/
total 12
drwxr-s---    2 rob    da      512 Oct 18  2002 bin
drwxrwsr-x   35 peter  da          1024 Jul 18 10:34 cad
drwxrwx---    2 root    da      512 May 18  2002 lost+found

$ cat ./myScript.sh
date |tee -a /tmp/wp00-7.log
rsync -avz --delete /cad/workspace/bin /fs2/wp00/ |tee -a /tmp/wp00-7.log
rsync -avz --delete /cad/workspace/cad /fs2/wp00/ |tee -a /tmp/wp00-7.log
date |tee -a /tmp/wp00-7.log

$ ./myScript.sh
Tue Aug  5 14:50:38 SG 2003
building file list ... done
wrote 91 bytes  read 20 bytes  222.00 bytes/sec
total size is 198768  speedup is 1790.70
building file list ...