bug: rsync always writes temp-files to current directory since cvs-20030326

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Aug 5 06:49:08 EST 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:59:13PM +0200, Peter Lundkvist wrote:
> The documentation states that rsync writes temp-files to the recieving
> directory, unless --temp-dir is specified. This is not true since
> cvs-20030326, when receiver.c was modified.
> ( http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/rsync/receiver.c#rev1.44 )

I don't see any such change in this revision, and testing shows that the
code is working as expected.

> You will get this error when you don't have write access to the
> current directory:
>   mkstemp .somefile.UQVWQd failed: Permission denied
>   rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)

I get no such error.  Note that rsync can report that (pathless) error
when it has done a chdir(), and thus it is not actually complaining
about the current directory when rsync was run (I'll look into changing
that).

> Please see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=192899

I tried to duplicate the bug listed here and was unable to do so.  I
must assume that this bug only exists in the Debian version or that the
destination directory was not writable by you.