perlrsync (was plain source -> encrypted destination: rsync + gpg)

Martin Langhoff ml at nzl.com.ar
Mon Aug 4 11:29:18 EST 2003

Hi,

I have achieved a reasonable preprocessing of files before pushing them
to the remote server (for instance, compressing or encrypting the files)
using perlrsync (in the source) and rsync (destination).

I tried patching the rsync sources, but it's obviously non-trivial and I
am obviously not a capable C coder. When I found perlrsync and could see
that it's wire-compatible with rsync I decided to patch the perl libs
instead.

The resulting patches and wrapper script I hope to integrate soon with
perlrsync, which can be found at http://perlrsync.sourceforge.net/ .

While this is probably off-topic for the rsync list, I hope it helps
users who are looking for this functionality in rsync.

As a sidenote, when dealing with filtering that changes the filesize,
the patch implementing --ignore-size/--time-only (by Kyle Jones) seems
to be useful to avoid resending unchanged files.

regards,

martin