Include-from ?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Aug 4 11:00:16 EST 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 08:14:39AM -0500, Max Kipness wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I actually did not specify my configuration right
> so that it is where I was going wrong. However, I'm still not able to
> only rsync /Test2.
>
> My root directory is:
>
> /Rootdir
>
> And then subdirectories of /Rootdir are:
>
> /Test1
> /Test2
> /Test3
>
> To get only /Test2, I tried the following in the include-only file:
>
> + Rootdir/Test2/
> - /*

Of course it doesn't.  If you are going to change the
problem space don't expect code for the old space to work on
the new.  Nobody is going to be patient with you redefining
the problem as each layer of what you are doing is unveiled
because the answer you got doesn't satisfy.

> This syncs nothing and gives me: excluding directory Rootdir because of
> pattern /*.

[snip of incorrect characterisation of problem]

> > > I want to rsync only /Test2 and all subdirs under. So my
> > include-from
> > > file looks like:
> > >
> > > + Test2/*
> > > - /*
> > >
> > > This doesn't work as nothing is synced, and if I do a -vv
> > it tells me
> > > that nothing is being synced because I've excluded all.
> >
> > I'm sure it didn't say that.  Instead it would have spit out
> > a bunch of lines including:
> > 	excluding directory Test2 because of pattern /*
> > That is because you never included Test2, only everything
> > under it.
> >
> > | + Test2/
> > | - /*

Reread what i wrote.  Read the "EXCLUDE PATTERNS" section of
the manpage and look for implications of --exclude '*'.

PS. I hate responses above context and broken re-wrapping of quoted
text.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt