[librsync-devel] Re: state of the rsync nation? (revisited 6/2003 from 11/2000)

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 4 01:26:10 EST 2003

G'day,

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 20:26, Martin Pool wrote:
[...]

Wow... that only just reached me on 2 Aug... nearly a month in delivery.

> > For the future I can see continued support of the exising rsync code. I
> > would also like to see librsync adopt vcdiff as it's delta format, and
> > get a major cleanup, possibly by re-using some xdelta code. There are
> > many common elements to the xdelta and rsync algorithms, and I see no
> > reason why a single library couldn't support both (as pysync does). It
> > would be nice if librsync and/or xdelta could become _the_ delta
> > library.
>
> I heartily agree.

For the record, librsync version 0.9.6 is _almost_ ready in CVS. A bug
has been detected but not isolated yet for large files (2G+). If it's
not squashed soon I'm tempted to release anyway with a KNOWN_BUGS that
reports this.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>