"-b --suffix '' --delete --backup-dir /path/" combination does not act as expected

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Aug 1 11:28:46 EST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:37:59PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> Have at it!

OK, here's what I came up with:

    http://www.blorf.net/rsync-backup.patch

This simplifies things in options.c to avoid the suffix_specified
weirdness, sets a couple len variables to avoid calling strlen()
neelessly, and fixes the problem where deleted files could get
removed instead of backed up.  I also noticed that a removed file
did not get mentioned in the -v output if it got renamed to a backup
file.  This seems wrong to me, so I made it mention the file as a
deletion, even though it is being backed up.  What do folks think?
Should it instead output "renaming" intead of "deleting"?