rsync over ssh

Dave Gawlik ddave at ddave.com
Wed Apr 30 04:49:07 EST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Douglas Blood wrote:

> I have been trying to get rsync with ssh to work and have found that even
> though I have a daemon running it spawns another when I connect (running as
> the user I sshed as). This was in the enhancements for 2.5.6.  I am trying
> to figure out how i can use the ssh for security but still connect to the
> daemon that I have running as root so i can back up all of my files that
> arn't readable by anyone else.
>
> I have also noticed that when i connect over ssh I need a rsyncd.conf file
> in my home directory. This makes sense why you wouldn't want a user editable
> file that has access to viewing/writing files over the whole system.
>
> If anyone knows how I might be able to do this I would appriciate the help

The ssh port forwarding seems to work fine using:

rsync "--rsh=/usr/bin/ssh -L 23:$REMOTE:23" \
-azR --verbose --progress --stats --force --bwlimit=64 \
$REMOTE::$MODULE $SYNCTO

But, as a cron job, I get:

WARNING: --rsh or -e option ignored when connecting to rsync daemon

Am I missing something on the syntax? Am I supposed to have an
rsyncd.conf in /root for a root cron job?

--
Regards,

*Dangerous* Dave Gawlik
LServ.Com WebMaster/Administrator