rsync over ssh

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Apr 29 03:07:01 EST 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:35:47AM -0600, Douglas Blood wrote:
>I am trying to figure out how i can use the ssh for security but still
>connect to the daemon that I have running as root so i can back up all
>of my files that arn't readable by anyone else.

To do that you need to use ssh's port forwarding facilities since this
is not something that rsync supports directly.  See the ssh docs for
how to start up an ssh connection with a forwarded local port, and then
rsync to/from the port on your *local machine* to reach the other end
of the secure tunnel (which will connect to the rsync daemon port via a
local connection on the remote machine).