Rsync read_int questions

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 03:37:46 EST 2003

Hello,

I've been having all kinds of problems with rsync. I've
tried versions 2.5.4-6. They all seem to have the same
problems. Currently, I'm trying to use SystemImager, which
uses rsync to transfer files. I get this:

get_boel_binaries_tarball
rsync -av 10.1.2.14::boot/i386/SMC/boel_binaries.tar.gz
/tmp/
receiving file list ... ERROR: buffer overflow in
recv_exclude_list
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22)
at util.c(238)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (28 bytes read so
far)

Looking at the code for recv_exclude_list, it seems real
simple. However, I do see a couple of issues. Using 2.5.6
source code, line 314 of exclude.c has an unsigned int, but
its value is set by read_int - which is signed. Next, I
follow
read_int->readfd->read_unbuffered->read_timeout->read.
Nowhere in this chain do a see a ntoh conversion. I traced
through write_int and I don't see any hton conversions in
the call chain either. How do you ensure an int is in the
proper byte order across a network?

Also, should read_int & write_int use a union to enforce
proper alignment?

union int_align {
   char b[4];
   int32 foo;
};

All the errors I see seem to be related to read & write
int.

Thoughts? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

-Steve Grubb