error report for transfer

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Apr 25 09:13:37 EST 2003

I'm seeing broken transfers when attempting large amounts of data.
I have read the issues.html file about the transfer dying issues,
which claims,

" Sometimes fatal error messages from the remote machine can be lost on the
 way to the client; you should investigate on the server for something
 stopping the transmission. The most common cause is that the destination
 disk is full."

which is a roundabout way of saying, "it's not our fault, it's your fault".
However:

There is no problem on the machines themselves. There is plenty of disk
space. The only thing I can think of, is an ssh error somehow.

A specific message I am seeing, when trying to do an rsync of
a 4+ gig filesystem, is

rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(925)

This is rsync 2.5.5, running on solaris 8 sparc, over openssh3.5p1,
openssl0.9.6h, between two machines on the same physical subnet.

Thoughts?

it looks like it is complaining about "I got an error".
However, according to sys/errno.h, 11 is "EAGAIN".

So... maybe rsync should "try again"?!!