--whole-file not working ?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Apr 24 21:25:38 EST 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 03:57:11AM -0700, Satsco wrote:
> hello all,
>
> i'm using rsync-2.5.4-2 on redhat 7.3
>
> in order to rsync some data from a MS-WIN$ share, i
> use the following procedure --
> first, i use the following to mount the SMB share :
>
> mount -t smbfs -o password=satish //satsco/satish
> /home/2
>
> then, after successfully mounting the share, i am
> using the following to rsync the data into redhat
> linux :
>
> rsync -arlpogtb --whole-file --suffix=~bak --stats
> --timeout=600 --bwlimit=220 /home/2/* /backup/2 >
> back2rsync.log 2>back2rsyncerr.log

What a strange command-line.  --whole-file is automatic for
local which this is.  --bwlimit and --timeout only apply to
network transfers.  Furthermore -a is the same as -rlptgoD
so -arlpogtb is the same as -ab, the only part of -a you
didn't redundantly specify was -D.

	rsync -ab --suffix=~bak --stats /home/2/* /backup/2 \
		> back2rsync.log 2>back2rsyncerr.log

would have had the exact same effect.
Perhaps reading the manpage would be a good idea.

> I want to disable incremental rsync and take all data
> again... however, no data transfer takes place at
> all... seems like incremental rsync is used.. can any1
> tell me why ?
>
> while "back2rsyncerr.log" is empty, following is the
> content of the file "back2rsync.log" -
> ======================================
> rsync[5966] (server receiver) heap statistics:
>   arena:          17016   (bytes from sbrk)
> rsync[5964] (sender) heap statistics:
>   arena:          53880   (bytes from sbrk)
>   ordblks:            3   (chunks not in use)
>   smblks:             0
>   hblks:              0   (chunks from mmap)
>   hblkhd:             0   (bytes from mmap)
>   usmblks:            0
>   fsmblks:            0
>   uordblks:       42424   (bytes used)
>   fordblks:       11456   (bytes free)
>   keepcost:        4152   (bytes in releasable chunk)
>
> Number of files: 44
> Number of files transferred: 0
> Total file size: 20229310 bytes
> Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
> Literal data: 0 bytes
> Matched data: 0 bytes
> File list size: 1096
> Total bytes written: 1108
> Total bytes read: 20
>
> wrote 1108 bytes  read 20 bytes  2256.00 bytes/sec
> total size is 20229310  speedup is 17933.79
>
> can someone please tell me how to take full data rsync
> and not incremental.

--whole-file instructs the utility that IF a file's size or
mtime indicates it changed the rsync algorythm is to be
disable and the whole file will be transferred.

In your case no files changes were detected so there was
nothing to transfer/copy.

There is an option that will ignore that fact that the file
times are unchanged but i'll let you find that by reading
the manpage for yourself.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt