full upload happening even though only a timestamp has changed

Tom Goulet tomg at em.ca
Tue Apr 22 13:10:41 EST 2003

> I think this may be a very old bug.  According to OLD_NEWS
> 2.5.4 has a bug where --whole-file is the default even over
> the network.  Try it with --no-whole-file.

tomg at nova:/extra/library/software/Knopper,_Klaus$ rsync --no-whole-file -vvessh
KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-04-18-EN.iso teep:/extra/tomg/library/software/Knopper,_Klaus/
opening connection using ssh teep rsync --server -vv .  /extra/tomg/library/software/Knopper,_Klaus/
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-04-18-EN.iso
[ and I'm pretty sure Rsync is trying to upload the whole file because
the remote temporary file is almost the same size as the amount of
traffic Iptraf is reporting ]
rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(229)
tomg at nova:/extra/library/software/Knopper,_Klaus$

--
Tom Goulet, tomg at em.ca, D8BAD3BC, http://web.em.ca/~tomg/contact.html

I usually read no mail which is unsolicited and bulk, is not exclusively in
plain text, has advertising footers, is top-posted, or has bad line wrap.