full upload happening even though only a timestamp has changed

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Apr 22 12:16:49 EST 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:51:33AM +0000, Tom Goulet wrote:
> > > Okay, I got all that.  So if the modification time is different, Rsync
> > > should get a checksum, right?
> > Wrong.  If the mtime is different rsync updates the file.
>
> Why?  It seems to me to be a lot saner to get the checksum of the
> modification time or size is different.

The difference in cost between generating the checksum for
comparison and doing an update with no change is very small.

> > You are confusing upload with update.
>
> Well, I guess I am, since I thought they were the same.  What's the
> difference?

The reason rsync exists and was explained in my earlier email.

> > > http://web.em.ca/~tomg/tmp/rsync_debug.0
> > 404 Not Found
>
> Works for me.

Whitespace error on my end, sorry.

> > The existence of the temp file does not mean it is uploading
> > the file.
>
> Okay.
>
> I am certain it's uploading when I've said it's uploading.  The time
> taken, Rsync's "wrote xxx bytes" output, and Iptraf prove that.

Try -vvv and just on that file.  Your stdout is 3MB of
filenames.

You also might try a larger block size which can reduce the
likelihood of a redo.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt