full upload happening even though only a timestamp has changed

Tom Goulet tomg at em.ca
Tue Apr 22 10:36:02 EST 2003

> If the mtime indicates the file has changed it will do an
> update.  That doesn't mean that any actual file data will be
> transfered.

That's what I thought was supposed to happen, but that's not what's
happening.  My testing transfer has finished now and I'll show the
transcript here:
tomg at nova:~/mylibrary$ rsync -rtlPvessh /extra/library teep:/extra/tomg
building file list ...
46349 files to consider
wrote 1358812 bytes  read 20 bytes  44551.87 bytes/sec
total size is 5240249974  speedup is 3856.44
tomg at nova:~/mylibrary$ touch /extra/library/software/Knopper,_Klaus/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-04-18-EN.iso
tomg at nova:~/mylibrary$ rsync -rtlPvessh /extra/library teep:/extra/tomg
building file list ...
46349 files to consider
library/software/Knopper,_Klaus/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-04-18-EN.iso
   729716736 100%    1.02MB/s    0:11:19
wrote 731164664 bytes  read 36 bytes  1005037.39 bytes/sec
total size is 5240249974  speedup is 7.17
tomg at nova:~/mylibrary$

As you can see, the second use of Rsync wrote 729805852 more bytes than
the first.

> If all the blocksums match it will effectively do a local copy to the
> temp file and then rename back.  If you want it to do a whole-file
> checksum as part of decideing whether to update you will need to use
> the -c option which overrides mtime.

I don't understand much of that.  Do I have to use the -c command line
option whenever I do not want Rsync to rely solely on the modification
time?  I'm pretty confused.  I'm certain I could use Rsync without that
option to make sure the remote file was right without actually uploading
file data, it's not like I wouldn't notice two days of upload time.

--
Tom Goulet, tomg at em.ca, D8BAD3BC, http://web.em.ca/~tomg/contact.html

I usually read no mail which is unsolicited and bulk, is not exclusively in
plain text, has advertising footers, is top-posted, or has bad line wrap.