deflate on token returned 0 (16384 bytes left)

Tom Goulet tomg at em.ca
Tue Apr 22 06:10:00 EST 2003

Hi,

I was getting an error when uploading Knoppix ISO images with
compression with Rsync.

Here is the error as I recall it:
tomg at nova:~/mylibrary$ rsync -rtlvessh --partial --delete --delete-after
--bwlimit=8 /extra/library academus:/var/pub
building file list ... done
library/software/Knopper,_Klaus/
library/software/Knopper,_Klaus/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-04-18-EN.iso
deflate on token returned 0 (16384 bytes left)
[ some other line mentioning token.c ]
tomg at nova:~/mylibrary$

Unfortunately I can't reproduce it right now for a set of complicated
reasons:
- Rsync will not produce the error if the remote file exists not (it
  will try and upload)
- Rsync will not produce the error if the date and size are the same (it
  will leave the file alone)
- Rsync will not produce the error if the local or remote timestamp is
  newer (it will upload the file again![0])
- Rsync will not produce the error on anything other than a few of the
  Knoppix ISO images, which are between 695MiB and 700MiB
- Due to the needless upload item mentioned above and use of the
  --partial command line option the image got clobbered on the remote
  host on which I was originally seeing the error and it will take me
  two days to upload to try again, which I don't plan to do
- My local area network host with Rsync has never produced the error
  (probably because I never used the -z command line option) and refuses
  to do so now (even with the -z command line option) due to the
  needless upload item mentioned above

I got the error on...
- version 2.3.2-1.3 on Debian testing
- version 2.5.5-0.1 on Debian testing
- version 2.5.6-0.1 recompiled for Debian testing
- version 2.5.5-1 on Red Hat 8.0

\0 I think I'll file a bug report on this if it happens on the latest
   version and I'm not as pooped as I am now

--
Tom Goulet, tomg at em.ca, D8BAD3BC, http://web.em.ca/~tomg/contact.html

I usually read no mail which is unsolicited and bulk, is not exclusively in
plain text, has advertising footers, is top-posted, or has bad line wrap.