Rsync bug in handling files larger than 2 GB *even with 64 bit compilation options*

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Apr 17 07:03:50 EST 2003

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:40:57AM -0700, Steve Bonds wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Wessam Aly WAly-at-Mobinil.com |Rsync List| wrote:
>
> > write failed on doc_all_030414.dmp.Z : Error 0
> > rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(243)
> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (91 bytes read so far)
> > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
>
> This error suggests that the rsh utility you are using to send the data
> across the network does not handle 2GB file descriptors properly.  Try
> transferring the same file to a new location on the same server using
> rsync to verify this.  If it transfers fine locally, the problem isn't
> with rsync.

Bunk.  Rsh or any -e option only serve as a dumb pipe.  They
have no knowlege of any data passing through.

Based on all the reports some versions of HP-UX do however
seem to have problems with configure not getting the
#defines right.  This is not a matter of command-line
options to configure.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt