Rsync bug in handling files larger than 2 GB *even with 64 bit compilation options*

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Apr 17 04:40:57 EST 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Wessam Aly WAly-at-Mobinil.com |Rsync List| wrote:

> write failed on doc_all_030414.dmp.Z : Error 0
> rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(243)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (91 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

This error suggests that the rsh utility you are using to send the data
across the network does not handle 2GB file descriptors properly.  Try
transferring the same file to a new location on the same server using
rsync to verify this.  If it transfers fine locally, the problem isn't
with rsync.

Also, check that the filesystem you are sending to is mounted with the
"largefiles" option.  This has thrown me off more than once on an HP-UX
system.

You shouldn't need to use any special configuration directive for
rsync.  It builds versions with 64-bit offsets by default now.

If you want to validate this, just use "rsync --version" and you should
see:

-----
rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              no IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
-----

  -- Steve