Rsync bug in handling files larger than 2 GB *even with 64 bit compilation options*

Wessam Aly WAly at Mobinil.com
Thu Apr 17 03:55:05 EST 2003

Rsync bug in handling files larger than 2 GB *even with 64 bit
compilation options*

We use files in my environment at work that sometimes requires to
transfer files with sizes like 2-10 GB each file. I get the following
error from rsync after if copies p a part from the file:

write failed on doc_all_030414.dmp.Z : Error 0
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(243)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (91 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

This error seems to be consistent across ALL filess that exceed 2 GB in
size. Althought the description of the error might be misleading, it
does happen only when large files are being copied (within the same
server or across a 100 Mbit Ethernet switched network).

The version of rsync I'm using is 2.5.6. Following is the what output:

/usr/bin/rsync:
        $Revision: 92453-07 linker linker crt0.o B.11.30 011005 $
        HP92453-02A.11.00 HP-UX SYMBOLIC DEBUGGER (END.O ILP32)
$Revision: 75.02 $

Platform: HP PA-RISC HPUX 9000 servers running HPUX 11.00 and HPUX 11.11
(11i)

Compilation options using configure:
./configure --enable-largefiles

Please try to look at this and let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks,

Wessam
Senior UNIX Admin