rsync - windows how should I compile the code any clues - Thanks !

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Apr 16 21:21:16 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 21:08, Naveen Athresh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a unique issue that I am dealing with here.
>
> I need to develop rsync algorithm into a library that can be re-used with my
> VB / VC application on Windows platform.
>
> I need your advice if there is any library already available on the Internet
> for this? I did get librsync but that is just a header file which I do not
> know how to compile also with the existing code I have.
> Can you please guide me in this?
>
> I did see a lot of your pages and even downloaded the exe from your website
> i.e. rsync2.5.1-dev.exe with cygwin and it works perfectly.
>
> But my requirement is that I need to get into rsync code and build it as an
> API that my VB applications can call rsync & use it to transfer files
> correctly.
>
> Therefore I need to ideally have the ability to re-compile rsync on windows.
>
> Can you please help me/ advice accordingly.
>
> Thanks for all your help.
> Sorry for troubling you but I appreciate any response from your end.

If you need compatibility with the "real rsync" application, then you
have got a tough job ahead of you. The current rsync implementation was
not designed to be a library, and includes all sorts of
backwards-compatibility stuff. However, I believe someone has
implemented a compatible implementation using perl so I guess it's
possible.

If you don't need rsync compatibility, then librsync is what you want.
There is a 0.9.6 release coming out soon (hopefuly tommorrow) that
compiles cleanly on windows using MSVC or cygwin. There would be some
work in making this compile into a DLL you could call from VB, but
hopefuly not much. The place to look is;

http://librsync.sorceforge.net/

and badger me for the 0.9.6 release if you don't see it soon. (it's
already in cvs if you want to get it that way, but it hasn't been tag'ed
and tar'ed yet).