Two --bwlimit issues

Dr. Uwe Meyer-Gruhl Uwe.Meyer-Gruhl at congenio.de
Tue Apr 15 05:02:47 EST 2003

Hi,

I have two issues with the --bwlimit parameter to rsync which are not
mentioned in the FAQ (please correct me if I am wrong):

1. When both an rsync client and an rsync daemon specify the --bwlimit
parameter, the client's value overrides the server's value. This could
be used in a DOS attack if the client uses a larger value than the
server intended. The documentation also is rather unclear about this,
e.g. is this a per-client or overall limit if used in the daemon?

2. I assume the --bwlimit parameter to be used mainly by the server side
to limit traffic, so it would be nice if there was a daemon
configuration file equivalent for the --bwlimit command line parameter.

Kind regards,

--
Dr. Uwe Meyer-Gruhl       congenio Gesellschaft für innovative
Softwareprojekte mbH