unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(1045)

Roy S. Rapoport rsync at ols.inorganic.org
Mon Apr 14 05:16:09 EST 2003

I'm trying to use rsync (2.5.6 on both sides) to copy a home directory from
one system (Solaris 2.6) to another (Solaris 9); the command is running on the
Sol9 version and is fetching files; I'm using rsync with SSH, rather than in
client/server mode.

The command line I've used is:
rsync --archive --verbose --rsh=ssh rsr at fold:/home/rsr /home

I've attempted this both as the rsr user and as the root user (thinking that
perhaps the fact it overwrites my ~/.ssh directory is the reason it tweaks).

The error I get, invariably, but not at consistent points in the transfer, is:
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(1045)

Which is, unfortunately, a rather vague error.

I've searched Google/Google-groups and the FAQ.  main.c(1045)is just an exit
statement, so it's not all that useful.

Any suggestions as to what I may do differently?

-roy