[Patch] Require extra --stats to emit heap statistics

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Thu Apr 10 20:38:08 EST 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:49:00AM -0500, John Van Essen wrote:
>> Since the heap statistics were added, I have viewed thousands of rsync
>> reports (with --verbose and --stats), and not once have I had a need
>> for them.  So for me, they're just noise.
>
>I agree with you on that.  Then again i've never run out of
>memory with rsync.

The heap stats are more of a debugging aid than generally useful info,
so they would be more appropriate for a higher level of verbosity.

>> Here is a 3-part patch to v2.5.6 that treats --stats in a similar
>> fashion to --verbose in that additional --stats will get you more
>> statistics.  For this initial case, there's only one additional level
>> of statistics (for the heap) but it could be expanded in the future.
>
>Please no!  The -vvvvvvvvvvv is bad enough, don't turn stats
>into the same abominat^Wawkwardness.
>
>I have mentioned before that i would like to see selectable
>logging.  Stats would fit into such a framework.  At the moment
>we have three statistical summaries.  It should be possible
>to select them individually.

If you don't want to use^H^H^Habuse the --stats argument, then how
about just requiring more than one -v to emit the heap statistics?
Changing   if (verbose)   to   if (verbose > 1)   would do it.

Are there any compelling reasons to emit them at the single -v level?
--
        John Van Essen <vanes002 at umn.edu>