[Patch] Require extra --stats to emit heap statistics

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Apr 8 19:21:33 EST 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:49:00AM -0500, John Van Essen wrote:
> Since the heap statistics were added, I have viewed thousands of rsync
> reports (with --verbose and --stats), and not once have I had a need
> for them.  So for me, they're just noise.

I agree with you on that.  Then again i've never run out of
memory with rsync.

> Here is a 3-part patch to v2.5.6 that treats --stats in a similar
> fashion to --verbose in that additional --stats will get you more
> statistics.  For this initial case, there's only one additional level
> of statistics (for the heap) but it could be expanded in the future.

Please no!  The -vvvvvvvvvvv is bad enough, don't turn stats
into the same abominat^Wawkwardness.

I have mentioned before that i would like to see selectable
logging.  Stats would fit into such a framework.  At the moment
we have three statistical summaries.  It should be possible
to select them individually.

> I have also included formatting changes so that the 3 stats sections
> consistently emit a single newline prior to emitting the statistics,
> thus visually separating them from whatever was displayed previously.

That is a good adjustment.