off site backup with rsync

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Mon Sep 30 16:07:00 EST 2002

ok, you have a proper rsyncd.conf for your application, good job there.
Now, how do you start the daemon?  with --no-detach in a bat file defining
$CYGWINROOT handled by srvany?  Manually running it?  Can you list the
modules locally?  After setting up the daemon, "rsync localhost::" should
come back with the "backup" module name.  set "list" to "yes" temporarily
for the test.  Even if you leave list set to "no", it should run without
error, rather than saying something like "
rsync localhost::
rsync: failed to connect to localhost: Connection refused
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
../../../../src/rsync-2.5.5rc1/clientserver.c(96)
"  If it fails, that means your daemon isn't accessible.  Try "rsync
--daemon".  That should fork and return you to a prompt.  At that point,
do a "ps", which should show a rsync process.  Try the listing again.
As an aside, do you really intend to get just your cygwinroot ("/"), or do
you mean rather something like "/cygdrive/c", so that you would get the
entire C: drive?

Anyway, once we know it's working locally, we can tackle issues with
accessing it remotely, if any remain.

Tim Conway
conway.tim at sphlihp.com reorder name and reverse domain
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"William R. Nash" <william at wrnash.net>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
09/28/2002 03:25 PM