more on rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(925)

Roberto Dominguez rdominguez at iProcesssolutions.com
Thu Sep 26 19:43:01 EST 2002

Hi there!

I am having a problem having a Solaris 9 box retrieveing files from a
OpenBSD 2.9 box. The both have rsync 2.5.5 protocol version 26. They were
compiled using gcc 2.95.3. Everythings goes until it tries to disconnect:

receiving file list ... done
wrote 16 bytes  read 28412 bytes  11371.20 bytes/sec
total size is 10142392  speedup is 356.77
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(925)

I am using SSH with an RSA key (SSH2). the OpenBSD box has OpenSSH_3.4, and
the solaris Box has SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0 (S9's owns)

This is what I'm doing:

rsync -axzvvv backup at host:/home/stuff/software/
<mailto:backup at host:/home/stuff/software/> * --rsh="ssh -v -v -i id_rsa -2
-l backup" home/stuff/software

This is the end portion of what I get (note that the 'debug[1,2]' lines are
generated by ssh):

recv_files finished
wrote 16 bytes  read 154748 bytes  9984.77 bytes/sec
total size is 10142392  speedup is 65.53
debug1: channel: 0 rcvd request for exit-status
debug1: cb_fn 2677c cb_event 91
debug1: channel 0: write failed
debug1: channel 0: output open->closed
debug1: channel 0: close_write
debug1: channel 0: rcvd eof
debug1: channel 0: rcvd close
debug1: channel 0: input open->closed
debug1: channel 0: close_read
debug1: channel 0: send close
debug1: channel 0: full closed2
debug1: channel_free: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i8/0 o128/0 fd -1/-1)

debug1: channel_free: channel 0: dettaching channel user
debug2: !channel_still_open.
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 0 bytes in 14.5 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 0.0
debug1: Exit status -1
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(925)
_exit_cleanup(code=255, file=main.c, line=925): about to call exit(255)

I've tried it also without using the RSA key.

While examining the code, puting printfs all over the place, I found that it
actually fails when everything is already done, while shutting down the
(secure) shell child process, but as you can see, ssh finds that there is a
connection that is still open...

This issue was brought up to the list before (
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-July/007958.html
<http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-July/007958.html> ) but I
couldn't see and lead on what's going on. I also applied the change proposed
by Dave Dykstra (
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-February/006371.html
<http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-February/006371.html> ) but I
didn't provide more information.

So I was wondering if somebody could give me some ideas of where should I
keep looking. I am not sure if the issue is that rsync is not properly
closing the sockets/pipes or that ssh is not doing it right or as expected
by rsync. In other words, should I continue digging into rsync or into ssh
code?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.