rsync bugs

Nicholas Henke henken at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 24 22:40:00 EST 2002

I may be nuts, but...

I would appear that rsync is not setting the exit code properly when it fails.
Below are 2 cases where that seems obvious, the line with the '0' after the
output is 'echo $?' from bash -- aka the exit code for the last command.

Let me know if these are bugs, or I need to somehow get around these situations.
Nic

>>> starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage...
                 Welcome to SunSITE.dk
                 =====================

SunSITE Denmark is located at Aalborg University, Institute of
Electronic Systems, Denmark, and is running on a Sun Enterprise E3500
Server with 2 CPUs, 2 GB Memory and approximately 240 GB storage.

The server was kindly donated by Sun Microsystems. Aalborg University,
3Com Nordic, Silcon Group, Cisco and CLARiiON are sponsoring the
project.

DISCLAIMER: Neither Aalborg University nor Sun Microsystems are liable
for any use, storage or transmission of any files stored on this
archive.

IMPORTANT: We have limited the number of open connections to the ftp
module to 5. If you are trying to sync MySQL or OpenOffice please use
the mysql and openoffice modules instead. These modules do not have
this low limit.

Please do not try to fetch the whole ftp module. It takes up well over
200 GB. You don't want that!

Please email suggestions and questions to staff at sunsite.dk

@ERROR: max connections (50) reached - try again later
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1024 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
0

and #2...

Please email suggestions and questions to staff at sunsite.dk

@ERROR: max connections (50) reached - try again later
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1024 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
0
./chroot_stub.py "emerge rsync" exited with code '0'
rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(229)
0

--
Nicholas Henke