Feature request: Sync Mac OS resource forks and metadata on Mac OS X

Kevin Crowston crowston at syr.edu
Tue Sep 17 19:36:00 EST 2002

I have a feature request for rsync. I tried posting it to the
FAQ-o-matic, but that system didn't seem to be accepting new
questions. I hope this is an okay list for the request--apologies if
it's misdirected.

Mac OS X provides support for the Mac file system resource forks and
mac specific metadata (e.g., creator and file type). Most Unix
applications ignore this information, but it is accessible. It would
be great if rsync between two Mac OS X machines could sync this
information as well as the usual Unix file contents and unix metadata.

I plan to take a look at the source, but I don't have high hopes of
being able to create a robust patch. Hopefully this will be easy for
someone who knows Mac OS X.
--

Kevin Crowston
Syracuse University			    Phone:  +1 (315) 443-1676
4-206 Centre for Science and Technology	    EMail:  crowston at syr.edu
Syracuse, NY   13244-4100   USA		    Web:    http://crowston.syr.edu/