Rsync-ing from remote to remote

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Sep 13 15:09:01 EST 2002

You're right, in that you can't go remote-to-remote the way rcp can, but
not about the man page, which explicitely rules out this functionality:

     Note that in all cases (other than listing) at least one  of
     the source and destination paths must be local.

SETUP
     See the file README for installation instructions.

SunOS 5.7            Last change: 1 Mar 1999                    2

User Commands                                            rsync(1)
You can do what you are attempting, though, fairly easily, as it is plain
from your example commandline that you are permitted to ssh.  Set up one
of them to be able to ssh to the other, and
ssh foo "rsync --rsh=ssh --archive /data/* bar:/data/"
or, if you don't want to let foo rsh to bar,
ssh bar "rsync --rsh=ssh --archive foo:/data/* /data/"
If you don't want either to be able to ssh out, you'll have to use a local
staging area.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Schmitt, Martin (Dregis STB C)" <Martin.Schmitt at Dregis.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
09/13/2002 03:43 AM