logging on client side on NT

bart.coninckx at watco.be bart.coninckx at watco.be
Fri Sep 13 10:54:00 EST 2002

Actually, we're not running bash, I just have rsync.exe and the necessary
Cygwin dll's in one folder and run everything in CMD.EXE. I will however
look into CMD.EXE's capabilities of redirecting everything to a file, but
I'll probably (once again) will run into the limits of using Win32, because
I don't think it has STDOUT and STDERR as in Unix.

Thank you!

Bart Coninckx
Network Administrator
CNE, ASE
*************************************
Watco ICT Services
Lilsedijk 19
B-2340 Beerse
Belgium

e-mail: bart.coninckx at watco.be
Tel: + 32 (0) 14 60 99 42
Fax: + 32 (0) 14 62 41 47
*************************************

                    jw schultz
                    <jw at pegasys.ws       To:     bart.coninckx at watco.be
                    >                    cc:     rsync at lists.samba.org
                                         Subject:     Re: logging on client side on NT
                    13/09/2002
                    12:46

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:15:59PM +0200, bart.coninckx at watco.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to log whatever happens with rsync on client side when it
runs
> with Cygwin on NT4.
> First, I just did a redirect of the screen output to a log-file:
>
> rsync -rtv --delete --modify-window=2 --stats /cygdrive/g/users/bco/test/
> bee2bs01::d/test/ >>c:\rsync\log\%FDATE%.log
>

> The problem with this method is that it does not redirect whatever Rsync
> reports as errors; because they are showed on the screen. This is a
shame,
> because that's the info that interests us.
>
> I've fiddled around quite a bit with the "--log-format=" option, but I
> don't get any valid output, perhaps because NT uses another escape
> character than Unix/Linux.
>

> Anyone any ideas to still be able to capture all error messages into a
> logfile?

The verbosity is sent to STDOUT (file descriptor 1), Errors
go to STDERR (file descriptor 2).  The shell is responsible
for redirection, not rsync.

I'm guessing that you are running bash.  Look at the section
entitled 'REDIRECTION' in the bash manpage.  It does better
job than i could here.

           email address:                      jw at pegasys.ws

                     Remember Cernan and Schmitt