Sporadic problem

Ivan Kovalev ivan at wssource.com
Tue Sep 10 19:12:42 EST 2002

I have an annoying  sporadic problem and would appreciate your advice.

Every 30 minutes I run the script that boils to following code:
while read d
do
        rsync --password-file=$p -rRlxupogtSq --delete $u@$1::$2/$d  $4
> /dev/null 2>&1  &
        print "`date +'%T'` sync $2/$d  $4" >>$log
done < $KEEPERS

Here $KEEPERS is generated ahead of time once a day and has about 1600
erntries for last 30 days of data that looks like this:
cctranscript.data/2002-09-10
comtex.data/out/2002-09-10
dowjones.data/2002-09-10
fcnotes.data/2002-09-10
cctranscript.data/2002-09-09
comtex.data/out/2002-09-09
dowjones.data/2002-09-09
fcnotes.data/2002-09-09
processednewsletters.data/ov_top/11-Aug-02
processednewsletters.data/ov_wknd/11-Aug-02
trwedgar/2002-08-11
wssnews.data/2002-08/11

Once in a while ( every week or so), rsync gets "overexcited" and starts
copying older, not listed directories. For example today it was doing
cctranscript.data/2002-06-01 . These directories are never recorded in
the log, so I am pretty sure arguments were passed correctly to rsync.
It looks like by some reason last portion of $d might be dropped off.
When I kill and restart the process, it reads $KEEPERS correctly for an
other several days.

On the server side I have limitation max connections = 300
--
Ivan Kovalev
Wall Street Source
E-mail: ivan at wssource.com