rcopy.pl an Perl script for rsync (with XML config)

Luis M lemsx1 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 7 19:08:00 EST 2002

Hello all,

I have been working on a Perl script called "rcopy.pl" that basically allows
you to configure rsync via an XML file. It's very easy to use. And it's very
usable at this point.
FEATURES:
* allows you to create your own set of rules to backup a system
(synchronize) -- a la 'rdist'
* you can have multiple servers and user accounts for different sources in
one single config file
* you can have multiple configuration files (one per directory) or a global
one in your $HOME directory
* it allows to create an example .rcopy.xml file that you can edit by hand,
or you can use the script to edit an existing config file
* it runs interactively for customization configuration and non-interactive
( -d ) in a daemon-like way when synchronizing
* it uses a lock mechanism to ensure only one script runs at a time

REQUIREMENTS:
* perl-XML-Simple CPAN module (and what XML-Simple depends on)
* Perl (duh?)
* rsync (:-))

You can take this baby for a test drive at:

http://www.latinomixed.com/downloads/rcopy.pl

And you can read an article I did explaining it's usage (Spanish only, use
the Fish to translate -- http://world.altavista.com ) from this link:

http://www.latinomixed.com/article.php3?story_id=232

Luis Mondesi
System Administrator/Web developer
LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1 at hotmail.com

You think Oedipus had a problem -- Adam was Eve's mother.

Be secured. Get the public signature here:
http://www.latinomixed.com/lems1/public-a.asc