important caveat with Rsync on NT and dayligt savings time

Robert Scholten r.scholten at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 31 08:58:00 EST 2002

Hi Wolfe,
This problem definitely (ouch) also occurs for FAT32 filesystems.

I discovered the one-hour problem rsyncing to backup files on my WinXP/cygwin system to a Linux box in a different time zone, using ssh and rsync 2.5.5.  The files on my WinXP system were on a FAT32 partition.  Both systems have the correct "date -u" UTC time, checked from a bash shell.  So it seems to me that cygwin "knows" the correct local time, but somehow cygwin/Windows are screwing up the file times.  Unfortunately I don't know have the expertise to pin down where the error is occurring in any reasonable timeframe.

I'd be happy to help fix the problem, but really just don't know where to look.  Should we perhaps contact the cygwin maintainers?

·       From: wolfe-mcse
·       Subject: RE: important caveat with Rsync on NT and dayligt savings time
·       Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:50:50 -0800

Howdy...

The short answer is the DST issue affects volumes using the NTFS filesystem.

The long answer is contained in the Windows KB article that was posted.

I am looking at a solution for this problem, along with a few other issues,
but the solution is a few months off from now.

Wolfe

Robert Scholten, University of Melbourne, Australia
On sabbatical at Eindhoven University of Technology
Physics N-laag g2.02
P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven
The Netherlands

Tel:    +31 40 247 4242