upload to rsync server syntax problems

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Oct 30 23:05:00 EST 2002

What I'm trying to do: upload files from my local machine to an rsync server
running on a remote host.

What I don't know: syntax on how to do this.

I initially set the conf file so that I could download from the remote
machine to my local machine, the syntax:

    rsync -azv --delete rsync://user@remote.machine.com:12923:blah destdir

This worked fine. So then, I wanted to go the other way around. On the
remote machine, I add "read only = no" to the module in the conf file and
restarted the server.

I thought think that the syntax for uploading to the remote machine would
simply be:

    rsync -azv --delete srcdir rsync://user@remote.machine.com:12923:blah

But according to the man page, that is apparently illegal. I've also tried
the following

    rsync -azv --delete srcdir user at remote.machine.com:12923:blah
    rsync -azv --delete srcdir user at remote.machine.com:12923::blah

Both of these query me for my system password, but doesn't seem to do
anything, and more importantly, is not using the server that is running on
that machine.

Any info on how to do this would be appreciated.

thomas

--
N. Thomas
nthomas at cise.ufl.edu