hundreds of thousands files

Ryan ryan at wyler.net
Wed Oct 30 20:41:01 EST 2002

I am rsyncing several hunderds of thousands of files in several
directories.  The way I got rsync to work for me was I wrote a script
which NFS mounts the directory I am rsyncing first before starting, and
then it goes through the directories and rsyncs them in bite sizeable
chunks by going a few directories deep and starting there..

Is there any way to have this as an option inside rsync directly?  It
would only have to be a change in the client.  Basicly when it realizes
there are thousands of files, instead of trying to do it in one big sweep
and bombing out, make it so it can do a directory at a time.

Like first rsync all the directories OMITTING individual files, and then
go through the directory tree and go all the way deep and rsync them
directory by directory instead of the whole tree at once.

Any one have any ideas on this?????

Ryan