important caveat with Rsync on NT and daylight savings time

bart.coninckx at sita.be bart.coninckx at sita.be
Tue Oct 29 21:03:42 EST 2002

That's actually a very good suggestion. First I figured that in this way
files changed within the hour after creation would be ignored, but they
probably represent a very small minority anyway.
On the other hand, this does not really rectify the situation, but will
allow us to postpone the real sync again until, let's say a holiday, where
we have plenty of time to sync.

Rgds,

Bart Coninckx
Network Administrator
CNE, ASE
*************************************
Watco ICT Services
Lilsedijk 19
B-2340 Beerse
Belgium

e-mail: bart.coninckx at sita.be
Tel: + 32 (0) 14 60 99 42
Fax: + 32 (0) 14 62 41 47
*************************************

                    jw schultz
                    <jw at pegasys.ws>          To:     rsync at samba.org
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    rsync-admin at lists        Subject:     Re: important caveat with Rsync on NT and dayligt savings time
                    .samba.org

                    10/29/2002 21:30

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:06:26PM +0100, bart.coninckx at sita.be wrote:

> No matter what my understanding's like: the timestamps on the files
changed
> after last weekend, resulting in a mismatch between source and
destination
> files. I've changed the clock to a timezone one hour ahead to compensate,
> did a "F5" in a particular folder and miraculously the timestamps
followed
> along with one hour. Unfortunately, it was already too late for a lot of
> files ...

In your situation you might want to use --modify-window=3600
and each night either reduce the window or apply it to fewer
files.  That way you can spread the load.

You'll need to do this again in April 8-(

Holloween came early for you.

           email address:                      jw at pegasys.ws

                     Remember Cernan and Schmitt