important caveat with Rsync on NT and dayligt savings time

bart.coninckx at sita.be bart.coninckx at sita.be
Tue Oct 29 20:05:00 EST 2002

No matter what my understanding's like: the timestamps on the files changed
after last weekend, resulting in a mismatch between source and destination
files. I've changed the clock to a timezone one hour ahead to compensate,
did a "F5" in a particular folder and miraculously the timestamps followed
along with one hour. Unfortunately, it was already too late for a lot of
files ...

Rgds,

Bart Coninckx
Network Administrator
CNE, ASE
*************************************
Watco ICT Services
Lilsedijk 19
B-2340 Beerse
Belgium

e-mail: bart.coninckx at sita.be
Tel: + 32 (0) 14 60 99 42
Fax: + 32 (0) 14 62 41 47
*************************************

                    <wolfe-mcse at ev1.n
                    et>                      To:     <rsync at samba.org>
                    Sent by:                 cc:     <bart.coninckx at sita.be>
                    rsync-admin at lists        Subject:     RE: important caveat with Rsync on NT and dayligt savings time
                    .samba.org

                    10/29/2002 20:25

Howdy...

Fortunately you posted the KB article number, and having read the article,
see you have a bit of a misunderstanding of what is going on.

First off, NT/2000 uses a offset from GMT, which does not observe Daylight
Savings Time (DST), for storing the time in the Event Log, and NTFS
volumes.
This also affects Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows XP
platforms viewing the same data remotely.

On the other side of file systems, the FAT16, and FAT32 filesystems use the
number of seconds that have elapsed since January 1, 1980 to store the
time,
rather than a time offset from GMT.

In case you want to avoid this happening in the future, at least until a
solution can be developed, implemented, and tested, you can turn off DST.
This will mean that for one-half of the year, your clock will be
out-of-sync
by 1 hour, but it may be better to be off by 1 hour to avoid this problem
in
the future.

I appreciate you warning others about this, as it has identified a cosmetic
bug that I was completely unaware of.  Necessity is the mother of
invention,
and this nuance will be addressed in my implementation of rsync as a
service
for Win32.

Wolfe