Help on syncing a windows server

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Oct 29 19:29:00 EST 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:49:30PM -0600, Matthew Bettinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At my work we have multiple freebsd machines running samba.  Love it, things
> are working great.  We have several windows 2000 servers that our engineers
> store their working drawings on.  I need to create a mirror of this
> engineering windows 2000 machine to a freebsd machine running samba.  The
> purpose of this is so that regular employees, welders whatever can just read
> the drawings on the mirrored (freebsd) machine and not touch the windows 2000
> server that the engineers work on.  Right now I am using Robocopy and I was
> hoping I could do this with rsync instead.
>
> Here is what the freebsd tester box looks like.  You can notice the two smbfs
> mounts.  These are some of the engineering windows 2000 machines that I would
> like to mirror to this freebsd box.
>
> /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, NFS exported, local)
> /dev/ad0s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1g on /usr (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad1s1e on /depot (ufs, NFS exported, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad2s1e on /general (ufs, NFS exported, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad3s1e on /Drawings (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
> 201.201.2.24:/share1/flexbackup on /flexbackup (nfs)
> //ADMINO5 at EMSCOR_ENG_NT/DWG on /ech_nt (smbfs)
> //ADMINISTRATOR at SOLID-EDGE/DWG on /solid_edge (smbfs)
>
> So in a nutshell I need to know if rsync can mirror the /solid-edge mount and
> /ech_nt mount  to /drawings.

In a word, Yes.

Read the docs.

The best way would be to put rsync on the W2000 machines and
have rsync either push or pull across the network.

While you cpuld rsync the smbfs mounts to local storage
rsync looses much of its advantage when accessing a network
mount.  Rsync's biggest advantage is to only send the
modified parts of modified files.  To do that requires
multiple accesses which is fine for local storage but not
for remote.  If you cannot install rsync on the windows
servers rsync with the --whole-file option disabling the
transfer optimization should still be a good approach.

As i said, read the docs.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt