rsync -e ssh does not work well

heikkila at mappi.helsinki.fi heikkila at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Oct 26 06:27:00 EST 2002

These are the facts:
The copy was successfull, the authentication
was made by ssh protocol, but rsyncd.log was
not updated on the server side. The previous
is not fatal, but I believe should do something to
confirm that it was ssh protocol that made the
copy, perhaps by looking at the traffic.
After that we should look at the various
forms of copy operations, how they work.
Do you agree? Currently I have not possibilty
to continue during weekend and not possibly on monday.

Following Scholten's page is very straightforward
and quickly done, so you may find time some to
make your tests, too.

I took his "full version"  zip file and used
c:\rsync as program directory.  This installation
did not interfere with any other setup, for
instance my machine's  F-secure ssh does not
contain ssh.exe, but ssh2.exe, instead.
So F-secure did not take part.   The newer ssh
seemed to create it's own .ssh subdirectory. I
did not yet here go further to test the
authentication options to be applied in
batch type  operations.

Kauko