Win32 Version?

David Starks-Browning starksb at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 09:53:01 EST 2002

On Friday 25 Oct 02, wolfe-mcse at ev1.net writes:
> Howdy...
>

> I have searched the archives, and even read what has been posted on the site
> regarding a Win32 port of rsync.  Though I have found a problem with
> everything.  The URLs for building your own, or downloading the compiled
> binaries for the Win32 platform are no longer valid.  Therein the problem
> lies, as the information is outdated, and still easily available on the site
> publicly.

If you give precise details, maybe the rsync.samba.org maintainer(s)
can repair the information.

> What is the current interest in a port of rsync to the Microsoft Windows
> platform?
>
> Is anyone interested in helping port rsync to the Microsoft Windows
> platform?

There is already a "Cygwin" port of rsync.  In fact you can download
rsync along with Cygwin from <http://cygwin.com/>.  There is at least
one "minimalist" distribution that includes only rsync, ssh and
cygwin1.dll (and sources, of course) so you can skip all the
other brilliant stuff that comes with a "default" Cygwin setup.

However, there are problems with the Cygwin "port".  Cygwin does not
support large files (> 2GB).  Cygwin will not attempt to support new
versions of Microsoft Windows until they are officially released.
Moreover, when the new Windows *is* released, updating Cygwin will
depend on the contributions of volunteers.  (Like yourself, perhaps?)

I believe that a true "native" Windows port (i.e., one that does not
require the UNIX emulation layer that Cygwin provides) would be quite
difficult.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Regards,
David