Win32 Version?

wolfe-mcse at ev1.net wolfe-mcse at ev1.net
Fri Oct 25 05:26:00 EST 2002

Howdy...

I have searched the archives, and even read what has been posted on the site
regarding a Win32 port of rsync.  Though I have found a problem with
everything.  The URLs for building your own, or downloading the compiled
binaries for the Win32 platform are no longer valid.  Therein the problem
lies, as the information is outdated, and still easily available on the site
publicly.

I imagine there are a few, and I mean a spare few, that are still using
Windows 95, but most have moved onto either Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows .NET, but not necessarily to
Unix, Linux, Solaris, AIX, or other non-Microsoft platform.

I have downloaded the source code, and though I have not had a chance in
which to look over it thoroughly, I hope to eventually develop enough
familiarity so that I can port it over to the Win32, Win64, and .NET
platforms.

I know some of you may think that I am off my rocker when I mention the
Win64 platform, but what you don't know is that Microsoft now has a 64-bit
version of Windows XP, which can address 16 terabytes
(18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes) of memory.  I am just not sure if they
have released it yet for purchase, but I do have authorized access to it,
along with its support/diagnostic utilities.

Now here is my question/suggestion...

What is the current interest in a port of rsync to the Microsoft Windows
platform?

Is anyone interested in helping port rsync to the Microsoft Windows
platform?

I have a currently active Universal MSDN subscription, which includes Visual
Studio 6.0 Enterprise, and Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect, and
would be willing to provide any resources I have to this project if there is
enough interest.  In addition to this, I also have the Catalyst SocketTools
Enterprise Edition library, should it be needed.

For those who are interested, I would prefer an off-list reply, otherwise I
may miss the message as it passes through my e-mail filters, and is placed
in a different folder.

Richard