Mutliple backups into a signle dir

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Oct 24 22:31:01 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 12:22:05AM +0200, Milan Kr?m?? wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 06:03:56PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> > You might look at dirvish http://www.pegasys.ws/dirvish It
> > manages a complete rotation schedule with images preserved
> > for various periods.
> >
> > Someone else has another tool that is simpler but less
> > featureful that manages a fixed size image cycle.
> >
> > With both you get something akin to snapshots so that
> > restores are very easy.
>
> Thank you. Originally I had another idea, I didn't suppose to have
> complete backups but rather multiple versions of modificated files
> in a single place. Both method have their pros and cons, but with the
> dirvish you've persuaded me to unconditionally choose complete snapshots.

> It took me some time to try, test and setup the dirvish. I find it very

The project is still young and documentation is not my best
suit.  Do let me know how, or if this could be helped.

> usefull and would recommend it to everyone seeking a backup solution
> on harddisk media (although the possibility to backup on a tape and
> totaly take it out of reach of the computer remains a good argument for me
> to use tapes).

The FAQ makes it clear i consider off site storage important
and removable media is still the best for archives.

> I will send some tiny proposals for enhancement of dirvish to your
> personal e-mail if there isn't any list devoted to dirvish.

No list yet.  If you prefer you can send to
dirvish at pegasys.ws and it will get to me.

If you drop me a line i'll know to notify you (bcc) when
there are updates.

Any more should go off-list.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt